Monday, March 19, 2012

The Privilege of Teaching Happiness


"Make it a rule...never, if possible, to lie down at night without being able to say "I have made one human being at least a little wiser, a little happier or a little better this day."
Wow. This quote from Charles Kingsley inspires me. It encourages me. And - it scares me a little. Am I REALLY to hold myself responsible for influencing people in such a way that it causes them to grow and be a better individual?? As a Stay-at-Home Mom of a two-year old, this concept couldn't be any more real. Each and every day, there is at least one moment when I stop and think, "I am her teacher... I am showing her how to live life..." Then I think, "Am I doing a good job?... Am I capable of such a daunting task?... Who let me do this?!?"
I'm sure this is an issue that all parents struggle with - not just mothers and not just the Stay-at-Home variety. It's a massive weight on your shoulders to realize that your words, your actions -- your everything can and WILL help to shape another human being into what he or she is to become.
Readers, I urge you today, do not let this massive weight become more than you can bear. Rather, take it as a challenge. View it as an amazing privilege that God would grant you, YOU the opportunity to impact someone's life in this way. To be their teacher, their mentor, their example of Christ and His love. I can guarantee that God would not give us the precious gift of children if He did not think that we could make some kind of difference in their lives - to make them better in some way. You can bet that there will be moments of complete and utter parenting failure, but rest assured that our Heavenly Father will be there to pick us up, dust us off, and reveal something new to us through each hurdle we face. Just as we'll get to do for OUR children.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...