Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Caution: Sleeping Dragon

Sometimes I have an ugly heart. It turns vicious and seething. I don't know what it is that makes me snap. My voice, cracking like a callous whip, lashing out toward my daughter. In these flashes of hot anger, I breathe fire upon this small, innocent girl - usually when she is merely playing and acting like a child should.     And I know it hurts. It hurts me, so I know it hurts her. Words can sting. Tone of voice can cut deep. And after the flames have rained down and I'm left holding the embers, I shudder to look back on the damage that I caused.

Within mere minutes, she is back to playing and chattering at me like a little bird. But I replay the scene... I look inward with such disgust, I can barely stand myself. I want to crawl out of my skin. In those moments of cooling, I am humbled. Embarrassed for the way that I've acted more like a child than she has. My eyes well up and tears drip down my face, acting like some sort of sprinkler system. I don't want her to see me like this. I don't want her to see the shame rolling down my cheeks.

I don't easily lose sight of how I treated her nor can I undo it. The only source of healing I can cling to is an apology. Even though she may have moved on {possibly even forgotten about it already} I kneel down in front of her soft face and gaze into sparkling eyes. And I say I'm sorry to my two year old. I look at her, into her soul, with all the warm affection that I have in me and I tell her I love her. THIS is what I want her to remember. THIS is the lasting impression I want to make.

God, teach me grace, that I may show it to my children. Make me slow to anger, that they might see Your righteousness in me.

James 1:19-20 NIV 19 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,20 for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...