Thursday, May 17, 2012

Miss Independent

She can do it herself. She doesn't want anyone's help - she's perfectly capable, thank you. Don't try to step in and lend a hand - she'll just get mad and start pouting. This is her task to complete. Hers to accomplish. All she really wants is to be able to sit back with a smile and say, "Yes - I did that.  All.   by.   myself."

But YOU know better, don't you? You are wise beyond her years. You have the strength that she lacks. You've seen it a thousand times before and this is nothing new for you. If she would just   let   you   help. And so you sit back and watch, waiting. It's coming - the moment when she will fail. Try - and fail again. Her brow furrows with frustration and she decides to give up. To throw in the towel. "It's useless", she might mutter to herself. "I can't do anything."

Oh, what's that? You thought I was talking about my two year old?  Yes, these scenes are an every day familiarity in our house. But today I'm not talking about a toddler. I'm talking about...  me.


Me! A grown woman - a wife, a mother. Acting like a child and thinking I can do it all.  And there in the background God watches me fall apart. Not because He doesn't want to help! But because I push Him away. I drown out His whispers and offerings of leaning on Him, relying on His strength.


I'm not here to call anyone out, but I'm pretty sure this is something that we are all guilty of from time to time.  So the question remains:

Why   do   we   DO   this?!?

When we look at it from the perspective of a parent wanting desperately to help their child, it is blatantly obvious to us that everything would go much more smoothly if the child would let the parent step in and help. The task could be done in half the time!  So why can't we see the child in ourselves when our Heavenly Father wants to step in and help us?

As I ever-so-patiently wait on the sidelines for my daughter to ask me for help, I can only be reminded {frequently!} of how often I need to let go of my pride and turn to MY Father for help. For it is then - and only then, that I will be able to do immeasurably more than I could ever imagine. 


Ephesians 3:20 MSG God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...